Thursday, April 25, 2002

I haven't posted here in a while due to computer problems. [heavy sigh] Some directories on my hard drive got corrupted and I couldn't start Windows up. I hate it when that happens. Luckily, I was able to get some files off the computer using DOS (remember than delightful operating system?) and continue my work on a laptop.

I just finished writing the first draft of a short story that is quite autobiographical. Usually, I use composite characters and situations in my stories--bits and pieces of real people and events, mixed with imaginary elements. But this one is close to the bone, so to speak. It was an odd, slightly disturbing experience writing it. It threw me back, mentally, to a time and place I don't like to think about much. But it was worth it for the story. It's not something I could have written a few years ago, but I seem to have enough perspective on the people and the "plot" now. Writing it was a kind of exorcism, a looking back at a painful period to sort out what I gained from it, so I can finally put all of that to rest. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?