Monday, April 21, 2003

Ancient and Modern

I'm back from my Easter sojourn in upstate New York . . . . I know, you're thrilled. The only thing I did even remotely related to the religious holiday was to listen to Jesus Christ Superstar (the film soundtrack version) in the car on the five-hour drive up there. It's probably the best version of the story yet, with the possible exception of the Bible's. But the Bible doesn't have Yvonne Elliman singing "I Don't Know How to Love Him." On a semi-related note, I watched the TV miniseries Helen of Troy last night on the USA network (part 2 is tonight). My son is studying ancient Greece in sixth grade, so I let him stay up to watch, too. It was much better than I expected, though my expectations were somewhat low. I thought it might be an ancient Aegean version of Dawson's Creek, but the production values and attention to historical/mythological detail were impressive. (In my opinion, that is. I'm no classics scholar, but I have a layman's interest in the ancient world.) We're looking forward to seeing the famous Trojan horse tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?