Sunday, June 15, 2003

National Sperm Appreciation Day

I think Father's Day was invented by Hallmark, wasn't it? I know Mother's Day was established by presidential decree, but Father's Day seems like more of an afterthought--though not as much as "Grandparents' Day." (Thank the Cosmic Muffin the greeting card industry hasn't imposed that one on us yet--though they've tried.) My son didn't seem to be aware that it was Father's Day today, which is fine with me--he's a little young for that level of societal consciousness, and I don't like a lot of fuss, even for my birthday. (He did sign a card for me that his mother handed him.) I still think of this day as more for my father than myself, anyway. We exchanged the ritual phone call and card; my wife did the same with her dad. I suppose if we all lived closer together, we would have visited them as well. And we do visit them from time to time--isn't each of those occasions the real Father's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?