Saturday, July 19, 2003

The possessor or the possessed?

I have to clean up this room. Irrelevant junk seems to multiply around me like rabbits in heat. I am surrounded by an appalling miscellany: computer disks and CDs I never use, magazines I don't have time to read (but hate to throw away unread), papers I don't need, books piled everywhere (including phone books from five years ago), a space heater I should put away (it being the middle of July), an old computer and monitor that are just gathering dust, a set of weights that I do use but keep tripping over and should find a better home for . . . . I sometimes wonder, in the midst of all this mess, if I’m the possessor or the possessed. Maybe I should ask one of those homeless souls I sometimes see wheeling all of their stuff around in a shopping cart.

I think it was Andy Warhol who suggested that people should put all their junk in cardboard boxes and write the date on the outside of each box. Then, he advised, if you still haven't opened the box one year later, throw it away. But here's the crucial part, he said: don't look inside before you toss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?