Saturday, November 29, 2003

Never judge a person by the cover of his book?

I recently realized that I was reading a novel--a literary novel, in fact--that I didn't want anyone to see me reading. I only read it when I'm alone. Why? Let's just say that I'm not part of the demographic group the novel is aimed at. Apparently, I'm not alone in feeling uncomfortable about this type of situation. Here's what writer Armando Iannucci has to say:

"Reading, though intimate, is a horrific social minefield. For an internal act, it's so often the focus of external and often poisonous judgment, even if those judgments are more imagined than real. I was recently on a train reading the novel Independence Day--Richard Ford's accomplished meditation on the middle-aged confusions of the suburban American male--when it suddenly dawned on me that the people opposite might think I was reading the novelisation of the film about aliens invading Earth and blowing up the White House." More here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?