Saturday, February 07, 2004

Bling-Bling

Lake Superior State University's Word Banishment selection committee has "emerged from its spider hole" with its annual list of words and phrases "Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness." Read the press release here.

If I was a metrosexual, I'd be truly offended by this condemnatory list of my favorite words. I'd spill my hand-crafted latte on the committee members, or maybe sic my companion animal on them, LOL. How would that be for shock and awe? Really, I think such a list should be consigned to a sanitary landfill, where they'd have to sweat like pigs to dig it up again. No one should be punked by such Xtreme academic nonsense. And if I was an embedded journalist in harm's way, at risk of being captured alive by the enemy, well, I'd make sure my colleagues back at CNN did a exposé on those ivory-tower pedants. One of their ripped-from-the-headlines reports. Not exactly a "shots rang out" kind of story, but I'm sure they'd find smoking-gun evidence that this word list is just a ploy to draw attention to a university that no one's ever heard of. (Maybe I should print this out, stick it in one of those "place stamp here" envelopes and mail it to Lake Superior U.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?