Thursday, February 19, 2004

Copy Right or Wrong

A widely praised, but completely illegal, remix of the Beatles' White Album is creating quite the copyright firestorm online, as Grey Tuesday explains. A "day of coordinated civil disobedience" is scheduled for February 24th, when "websites will post Danger Mouse's Grey Album on their site for 24 hours in protest of EMI's attempts to censor this work."

I have no idea who this dangerous mouse is, and I haven't downloaded or heard the Grey Album, nor will I participate in this protest. What I've heard about the album suggests that it is a genuine work of art, however. Seems to me that some kind of licensing arrangement would benefit all parties--EMI, the Beatles/Apple, Danger Mouse and the listening public. Paul? Ringo? If you're reading this, it's time to let out some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?