Monday, August 02, 2004

Day of Terror

Day of Terror

This was "terror day." Terror alerts have been issued for NYC and Northern New Jersey--for specific buildings in those areas at least. Just my luck, I had to venture into New York today, to take my son to his doctor appointment.

We are supposed to be "vigilant"--about what is never specified. I tried to be vigilant, but the only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed was an unusually large number of police standing around looking bored and a group of soldiers on duty at Grand Central Terminal wearing camouflage fatigues. (What good is jungle camouflage at Grand Central?) They were examining the tattoos on some guy's arm with great interest.

A couple of terrifying (if momentary) events did befall me today. I wear lightweight hiking shoes, and a loop on my left shoe somehow got stuck on a hook on my right shoe while I was sitting on the subway. I only discovered this when the train arrived at my stop. Ever had someone tie your shoelaces together? That's exactly what it was like. I stood up in a panic and almost fell over. I had to pull my shoe off completely to get out before the doors closed. Terrifying . . .

On the way home, we somehow got on the wrong bus and ended up on the opposite side of town from where we live. I had a tiny moment of terror as the bus turned down the "wrong" street. But then I decided to accept the situation, sit back and enjoy the ride. That was my contribution today to the never-ending war on terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?