Monday, April 18, 2005

Connections

Connections

Today I saw a guy wearing a necktie with the Twin Towers on it, against a red, white and blue background. I suppose those vanished buildings have become icons now, like the American Flag, the cross, Jesus, Elvis, and Marilyn. I see the towers on T-shirts, too. Can black velvet paintings be next? It may be tacky, it may be exploitative, but there is apparently some deep human need for touchstones of this sort. As if we might forget about these people or buildings or objects without constant visual reminders. Or perhaps people feel a need to advertise who they are through the icons they choose to display. I'm tempted to say this indicates a deep sense of insecurity, but I'm not sure how the Twin Towers fit that theory. "Never forget" seems to be the message there. As if we could. There may be other messages, too. Wear the World Trade Center on your flag-like necktie and you're saying . . . what? That the tragedy of the towers justifies certain actions? It's an ambiguous symbol, at least for me -- just as the magnetic yellow ribbons I see on cars are ambiguous. "Support the Troops," yes, but is that the only message? Does that equal support for the war? How exactly do these magnetic ribbons, which reportedly will damage a car's paint job, support people in the armed forces? If I buy one, does the money go to the USO or some other troop-supporting charity? (If it does, it's being kept very quiet.) If I was a cynical person, I might be tempted to say that these ribbons are just a cheap way to "support" the troops without having to endure any of the hardships usually associated with wartime -- like higher taxes or a draft or a shortage of gasoline. Of course, if I was the cynical type, I might sell neckties and towels and key chains with the Twin Towers on them, too.
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?