Friday, May 20, 2005

Connections: packing a "weapon"

Connections

Seen on the street today: a curly haired little girl in a pink party dress, maybe 4 or 5 years old, waving a green "light saber" at everyone she passed and wearing a big smile. I hope she wasn't a sith. It reminded me of my son dressing up in plastic (knight in shining) armor a few years ago and waving a toy sword at people in the local park. They either laughed, which annoyed him, or pretended to be terrified . . . I often wonder how many people--adults--are walking around with real weapons. Apparently, in Florida, you don't need a license or permit to carry a handgun, unless it is concealed. And a new law there allows gun owners to use deadly force against perceived attackers, even if they have the ability to flee. According to the Washington Post, "prosecutors must automatically presume that would-be victims feared for their lives if attacked." Incredible. I've never carried a weapon, unless you consider a pen knife to be one. (They sure do at airports.) I did have a cap gun when I was a kid, though, and enjoyed firing it at other callow cowboys. I think I was on the Dark Side then.
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?