Monday, September 19, 2005

A Nice Day for Sitting in the Car


A Nice Day for Sitting in the Car

I've never understood why some people like to just sit in their cars, going nowhere. Today I was picking my son up from school and had to park in an awkward space, a bit too near a fire hydrant. There was a car in front of me, though, that I thought was about to leave. It was a compact car that could seat four people at most, and there were already three full-sized adults in it. I assumed they were waiting for someone to come out of the school and would then leave--and that I could then pull into the space. But no. A good-sized boy came out of the school and got into the car, taking up the last seat in the back. I started my car, getting ready to move. But they just sat there. Five minutes went by. They started opening papers and books, and it looked like the boy had started his homework. I could see the driver's eyes in her rear-view mirror, and it looked like she was taking a nap. Very mysterious. Finally, my son came and we left. The little car full of people was still parked, with no sign of imminent movement. For all I know, they're still there.

Just another slice of life from here in Weirdsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?