Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Restroom faucets: It's magic

Abracadabra

Modern technology has created a world without borders, but not without confusion. Even when it comes to washing your hands.

I was in the restroom of a New York City bookstore the other day. I had just finished washing up and was drying my digits with a paper towel. I noticed a youngish guy standing at the sinks, looking down at the faucets with a puzzled expression. He turned to me and said, "Excuse me. How do you turn these on?"

He had a British accent. "How do you turn them on?" I repeated. For a second, I thought he must be joking.

"Just put your hands under it," I said, trying to keep a straight face. "It has an electric eye, or something."

"Oh." He stuck his hand under the faucet and the water gushed out. He looked surprised, mumbled "thanks" and chuckled a bit. "Crazy Americans," I imagined he must be thinking.

Those magical restroom faucets ARE a bit much. I think I understand the motivation behind them--you avoid germs by not touching any grimy handles turned by who knows how many filthy hands. It's the same with the supernatural paper-towel dispensers, I suppose: don't contaminate your pristine fingers by touching some dirty old lever. I still feel silly using them, though--like a bush-league Harry Potter or Jedi, just waving my hand to make something stupid happen. I guess I'm just not that worried about germs.

After all, once the hand washing is over, you still have to touch that grubby door handle to leave the loo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?