Thursday, October 15, 2009

Word of the Day: meaching

meaching (v or adj) [also spelled "meeching" or "miching"]

Hiding, skulking; cowardly.

"Again and again he had seen young lawyers who had been brilliant in class with him, meaching around, in seedy clothing, unmarried, always together in some cheap bar because they couldn't afford to take a girl out. And seeing them he had been glad for his own job, although it paid only twenty-four hundred a year."
--Harry Sylvester, Moon Gaffney

"Seedy"... I'm wearing my seedy wool sweater today with the little hole in the front. It's cold and rainy outside, and the heat isn't working inside -- someone is coming to repair the boiler tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, I've got a fire in the fireplace and my laptop to keep my, uh, lap warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?