Thursday, June 17, 2010

Word of the Day: gravid

gravid (adj)

Pregnant, or full of eggs.

"The gravest problems of obstetrics and forensic medicine were examined with as much animation as the most popular beliefs on the state of pregnancy such as the forbidding to a gravid woman to step over a country stile lest, by her movement, the navelcord should strangle her creature."
--James Joyce, Ulysses

"The minute she'd settled into the seat next to him, her billowing widow's rig had got redisposed to reveal her neatly gravid waistline, at which, now, he nodded."
--Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

"One slender hand was raised in a graceful gesture, gravid with meaning."
--David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

I don't have a beer belly (yet), but if I did, I think I'd call it my grain-grown gavidity gut.

(Gravid, by the way, is one of the words that the late David Foster Wallace circled in his dictionary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?