Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Write Like...David Foster Wallace?

I Write Like is a website that purports to tell you what famous scribbler you write like, by analyzing your word choice and writing style and comparing them to those of famous authors. I plugged my "Long, Strange Trip" blog post below into their analyzer, and the celebrity scrivener I most write like turns out to be David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, which I've never read. Interesting. I like the words he circled in his dictionary (see "Word of the Day" posts below) and that article about David Lynch he wrote. According to Wikipedia, "Wallace's writing voice is a postmodern mixture of high- and low-brow linguistic traits. He juxtaposes, often within a single sentence, colloquialisms and polysyllabic, obscure, or esoteric words."

Here is some DFW writing I admire. Pity he offed himself.

(via The Presurfer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?