Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Head Rattle

I.

I'm "reading"* David Foster Wallace's Girl with Curious Hair, a short-story collection in which well-worn "celebrities" like Alex Trebek and Merv Griffin appear as fictional characters, percolating as they never did and spouting words they never said. It occurs to me that if a film had been made of this book, Trebek and Griffin could have played these fictional incarnations of themselves: Alex Trebek as "Alex Trebek", who of course portrays "Alex Trebek" on Jeopardy. It makes my head hurt.

II.

Coincidentally (?), I'm watching something about fractals on TV right now.

III.

Julian, Julian, Julian. How many Julians am I aware of: Julian Assange, Julian Lennon, the Julian calendar, Emperor Julian, Julian Sands (actor in Boxing Helena), Julian Bond (civil rights guy), Julian Casablancas (musician), Julian Barnes (novelist). There's also Julianne Moore, an actress; the name is a female analogue of "Julian", as is "Julia"....half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you.

~~~
*It's being read to me via audiolivre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?