Monday, January 17, 2011

Word of the Day: Sitzfleisch

Sitzfleisch (n)

The ability to endure or persist through determination.

"They simply hadn't enough Sitzfleisch to squat
under a bho-tree and get to Nirvana by contemplating
anything, least of all their own navel."
--D. H. Lawrence, Things

I'm all about Sitzfleisch, come to think of it. In my life I've grown up with an alcoholic parent, lived in a rural area and then moved to New York City, overcome painful shyness (though I backslide), been fired, been rejected by friends both male and female, been depressed, failed in business, had to reinvent myself, blah, blah, blah, boo, hoo, hoo. It's not really anything out of the ordinary, but ordinary in this world is awful. But not, for me, unbearable. Sitzfleisch hasn't gotten me "far", but it's gotten me somewhere. And that's better than being nowhere.

~~~

Meanwhile....

Stuff and Things

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?