Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Head Rattle

I.

My new passport came in the mail the other day, so I am now free (free at last!) to leave the country. It's quite a little book of hidden gadgets and gizmos, including an embedded microchip -- so I can be scanned, like a can of creamed corn at the supermarket. I could do without all the patriotic uber-American pictures on the pages -- though I suppose that has something to do with preventing counterfeiting. I'd like to think I'm more of a citizen of the world when I'm outside the U.S. I'd like to have an Planet Earth passport....

II.

To indulge some relations, I saw a performance of Psycho Beach Party by a local theatrical group last weekend -- a high-camp Charles Busch period piece about early 60s surfing culture and multi-personality disorder. It's a comedy/farce of course, but I keep thinking that it could also be played "straight" (in all senses of the word), and that it might be even funnier like that, but in a different way. I prefer my camp to be unintentional.

III.

There's so much previously unreleased Twin Peaks music available now on DavidLynch.com. I'm listening to "Laura's Dark Boogie" as I type this. Those creepy, nervous cellos (or whatever they are) and that demented sax over great waves of synthesizer anxiety -- it's hypnotic. I'm going to have to break down and download all the tracks (the ones I don't already have on CD) soon. Badalamenti (the composer) should compose a symphony based on it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?