Thursday, February 23, 2012

Word of the Day: canorous

canorous (adj)

Melodious; musical.

"The dull life at Oxford was varied by the occasional visit of a mesmeric lecturer; and one youth caused peals of canorous laughter by walking round in a pretended mesmeric sleep and kissing the pretty daughters of the dons."
--Thomas Wright, The Life of Sir Richard Burton

I'm tired tonight, so here's one from the archives. I wrote this (somewhat trite) bit of tripe back in 2002, when I was full-time freelancing -- and new to blogging:

"While I'm editing, I like to listen to music. Not just any music. I usually listen to film scores, "ambient" music or jazz--music without lyrics, because it allows me to concentrate. I can choose to listen, or let the music function as white noise, depending on what I'm doing at the moment. I suppose that's the purpose behind Muzak, too, but elevator music has always annoyed me. It's "calming influence" is just too damn manipulative. I think they play it in stores because it encourages people to buy more stuff--it tranquilizes any concern about spending too much. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

"Today, I've been listening to a beautiful, classic film score by the great Alex North: The Long, Hot Summer. It's from an old (1958) Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward movie based on some of William Faulkner's short stories. Very lyrical and literary--just the thing to listen to while editing a long treatise on financial conditions in Thailand!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?