Thursday, March 15, 2012

Much Ado about NOTHING

I was thinking today that I need some mood music, an extra-diegetic soundtrack for the quiddity of my daily existence. Feeling vexed yesterday, I could have used thumping, repetitive grunge rock. Today was busy as hell, and the hypothetical soundtrack should have included a Bach fugue or a Mozart sonata. Speed walking to the train station each morning? A loop of that amphetamine trumpet from "Penny Lane". Sleeping or meditating or daydreaming could be scored with Eno's Music for Airports. Low-grade frustration (a frequent companion) demands something minimal and repetitious. An excerpt from Glass's Koyaanisqatsi maybe? Feeling calm and self-possessed brings to mind the Twin Peaks instrumental theme, also called "Falling", although I find it uplifting. Writing, blogging -- just some random piano noodling, "tickling the ivories”, I think it's called, would do -- the sound of fingers tapping on a very different kind of keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?