Sunday, April 29, 2012

Photo of the Week

Newark Penn Station

This stylized, Art Deco rendering of the solar system is part of the set decor for the 1940 film Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe. It was supposed to be the ceiling over the throne of evil space nemisis Ming the Merciless, but the scene in which our heroes are forced to grovel at his feet as the camera pans up and the ceiling becomes visible wound up on the cutting room floor. Too Eisenstein-ish for the kiddie matinee, the studio decided. Ugh, Hollywood!

Actually, I just made that up. This is the ceiling over an outdoor entrance to Newark Penn Station. I speed-walk under it almost every weekday as I attempt to catch the next PATH train home from work, but I never really looked closely at it until recently. While someone blocked the entrance with a pile of luggage, I pulled out my phone and snapped the pic. Click on it for a closer view, and just try to control your awe and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?