Monday, May 14, 2012

Head Rattle

I.

Somebody was just reciting a lot of Lost plot details, and I realized I've forgotten most of what happened in the latter episodes, when it got very convoluted. Yes, I've lost it. Strangely, I don't feel any desire to rewatch the series at this point. Maybe that will change in a few years. I don't think it's another Twin Peaks, though, maybe because there are too many episodes to keep the whole thing straight. And something that went on too long may be less appealing than something that got cut too short.

II.

Strange how I can enjoy a novel in which not much of anything happens, at least so far. About the most dramatic plot development is that someone's pet iguana died. Other than that, it's mostly a character study in which a 400-pound sociology professor decides to interview a twentysomething homeless sex-offender -- who is still a virgin. They become friends. Opposites attract. And their stories about how they got to be who they are have me hitting the old page-refresh button. It's Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks, if you're curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?