Monday, April 30, 2012

Word of the Day: zenzizenzizenzic

zenzizenzizenzic (n)

A number to the eighth power. (The zenzizenzizenzic of 2 is 256.

"Now, zenzizenzizenzic might seem like a rather innocent concept but recall that Google and Wikipedia both experienced zenzizenzizenzic-like growth and, in the process, transformed a number of industries; and, in the coming decade, so too will a number of other emerging technologies."
--Jack Uldrich, unlearning101.com

I never liked math in school, which is probably why I became a damned English major, earning the pity, scorn, and opprobrium of all the "practical" people who didn't know a gerund from a quatrain. If you read about careers these days, a humanities degree is supposed to be economic suicide, a one-way ticket to life as a Walmart greeter. But somehow I've managed to do alright, if not spectacularly, with my logophilia affliction. I don't know if anybody still majors in English, but I hope they do. Somebody has to maintain some standards, even at the risk of being labeled a "grammar Nazi", as I have been. Hate that. Call me a prose technician or a text engineer. Call me Ishmael....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?