Sunday, July 29, 2012

Head Rattle

I.

Three people I know (two of them are a couple) have been featured on reality TV in the last week. The couple was on an Animal Planet show that starred their cat -- a cat burglar who keeps stealing the filter out of their Britta pitcher, of all things. The third was the owner of a local bakery who was teaching a cooking class to Jwoww (among others) of Snooki and Jwoww, which was filmed here in Jersey City. I don't think a reality show could be built around me. All I do is walk back and forth to a train station. Other than that, I mostly stare at a screen all day.

II.

Speaking of animals, I recently became Facebook "friends" with a pug dog named Apricot Schnood Raphael. I didn't know that animals could have Facebook accounts, but it doesn't say anything about being human in the Terms of Service; just that you have to use your real name (which is a joke, in my observation). I guess "Apricot" didn't raise any red flags. It will be interesting to see what kind of targeted advertising FB aims at Apricot. Doggie treats? I doubt it. Fruit drinks, perhaps.

III.

The opening ceremony of the Olympics was delightfully bizarre. But I find most of the sporting events to be either too nerve-wracking to watch or too boring. I'm always afraid those gymnasts are going to fall (and sometimes they do), and I end up wondering why some of them shave and some don't. I have better things to ponder. The volleyball tournaments just seem endless and little too trivial to be an Olympic sport. What's next, badminton? Oh wait....

Did you know that Olympic medals used to be awarded for literature, architecture, and painting? It's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?