Sunday, January 20, 2013

Word of the Day: jargogle

What's "the word I'm thinking of"? Today, it's...

jargogle (verb)

To confuse or mix up

"Whether all you say have any thing more in it than this, I appeal to my readers: and should willingly do it to you, did not I fear, that the jumbling of those good and plausible words in your head 'of sufficient evidence, consider as one ought,' &c. might a little jargogle your thoughts...."
--John Locke, Letters Concerning Toleration (1689)

Things that jargogle me:

~~~I'm looking for something, and my wife tells me it's "in the closet." We have eight closets in our house. "Which closet?" I ask. "The Closet!" she yells.
~~~Kids playing in the street when there are two huge parks a couple of blocks away in either direction
~~~A relative who has changed her first name to something completely different--but not legally; trying to remember and use it
~~~High fructose corn syrup
~~~Weekend train schedules
~~~midlife
~~~vesting (financial, not sartorial)
~~~PPOs vs. HMOs
~~~Variations on your basic zebra: zebroids (something that resembles a zebra), zorses (zebras crossed with horses), zebrules (zebras crossed with mules), zonies (zebra ponies), zonkies (zebra plus donkey), donkras (donkey plus zebra) and zebra hinnies (same as a donkra)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?