Sunday, April 21, 2013

Random Sequence

They were the darkest eyes that I had ever seen. I don't want to see them again, but I do. I close my eyes and there they are, two black vortices pulling me down to a place I don't want to go.

I woke up that morning with a gruesome headache. My brain felt too big for my skull, and my stomach felt like a small lizard had died in it. The sheets were moist and clammy. I was cold. Yes, I had a hangover.

My eyes rolled around and focused on the bedside clock. It took me several seconds to conclude that, despite the inky sky outside the open window, it was late morning.

Sitting up and watching the dark red curtains puff in and out against the window screen for a minute, I couldn't help thinking of a gigantic mouth -- breathing in, breathing out, in and out....
--from "Dark Eyes" (by me), originally published in Twilight Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?