Thursday, April 25, 2013

Random Sequence

She kept combing, first one side of her head, then the other, then the back, then the bangs, then the side again. I wondered how long she could keep it up and began to time her with my watch. I counted five minutes of non-stop combing, and still she didn't stop. Oh yes, that's mental, I thought. Something's not right....

After a while, she paused for a moment and opened her purse. Okay, I thought, she's getting off [the bus] soon. But no. She pulled out a small mirror, stared into it, and resumed her combing. I suppressed a strong desire to giggle. What an obsession, I thought. With all that manipulation, I'm surprised she still has a hair on her head.
--from "The Lady with the Hair" (by me), originally published by Eyeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?