Thursday, November 13, 2003

You do not want to "aggravate" me!

Is it "farther" or "further"? "Allude" or "elude"? In my thrilling and ultra-lucrative work as an editor, I come across plenty of malapropisms, and they sure are . . . irritating. Or should that be "aggravating"? No -- irritating. I try not to get too worked up over them, though. When I find them in a text, I just heave a sigh, shake my head, and change "than" to "then" or "infer" to "imply." And when I'm talking to a Mr. or Mrs. Malaprop, I don't laugh at or correct them. I've learned to keep a straight face and only chuckle internally. (Life is so much simpler that way.) There are limits, though, and here's a writer who sounds like he's reached his over words and expressions commonly misused by insipid brothers-in-law.

(Thanks to Drugs Make Me Cool)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?