Monday, March 25, 2002

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find, in each person's life, sorrowing and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."
--Longfellow

While web-surfing the other day, I found a picture of my ex-boss on a website. It brought back lots of painful memories. I hated her, but there she was, smiling pleasantly in a publicity shot. Where in that posed expression was the Machiavellian, back-stabbing, narcissistic hypocrisy I had put up with for so many months? How does this person manage to function in the world, day to day, and even advance in her career? I noted that she's changed jobs several times since I knew her--no doubt leaving a trail of human wreckage in her wake, but nevertheless scratching her way up the corporate pyramid. Who is she? Who is she really? Is there a core of human feeling behind, those dark, vacant eyes, with their hint of fear? I still don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?