Tuesday, July 16, 2002

An Excess of Caution, A Failure of Imagination

Well, I have to say I'm underwhelmed by the six site plans unveiled today for Ground Zero. In terms of architecture, they are all bland and uninspired. Of the six, the ones I like the best include the "Promenade" plan. It preserves some of the "twoness" of the old WTC, with two 1,500 foot "architectural elements"--broadcast towers, I assume. That's important, because New York needs to replace the broadcast tower that was lost on 9/11--the Empire State Building mast, which most TV stations are using now, just isn't tall enough. I also like some elements of the Memorial Garden plan, because it's tall (again, though use of a broadcast tower) and would enhance the skyline. All of the plans include memorials and museums, and most of them avoid building on the footprints of the Twin Towers, which I (and most people, I think) support. Someday I want to stand where they stood and remember.

I was hoping for something more sweeping and audacious from these plans--something like an Eiffel Tower for New York!

Luckily, these plans are just starting points for public debate--which I predict will be lengthy and heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?