Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Dream

Last Night's Adventure

I was working in some bureaucratic place--a large, old-fashioned office building with many long hallways and shiny floors. The atmosphere was oppressive, like something out of Orwell or Kafka. My assignment was to write a letter, a task I took very seriously. I labored over it, getting the wording just right (I thought).

When I was finally finished, I took it to my "boss," who was in a large, dark, classroom-like office on the other side of the building. This boss was a woman, somewhat like someone I used to work for but with a different, uglier face. She was non-plussed by my efforts, as she had been working on the letter herself. (There seemed to have been some miscommunication about the assignment.)

I was embarrassed and angry, but careful not to let it show. She let me read the letter she had written. (I have no memory of what the letter was about, by the way, just of its style.) Her version was, I thought, illogical and full of highly emotional language--totally unlike the carefully neutral, businesslike tone of my letter.

The scene ended with me feeling that I had to agree that hers was better, even though it seemed utterly ridiculous to me.

An annoying dream that made me glad to wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?