Sunday, November 10, 2013

Word of the Day: zarf

What's "the word I'm thinking of"? Today, it's....

zarf [zarf](noun)

A holder for a hot coffee cup

"The guest holds out the cup by the silver zarf, the attendant opening one hand places it under, then brings the palm of the other upon the top of the cup; the guest relinquishes his hold, and the attendant retires backward with the cup thus secured."
--David Urquhart, The Spirit of the East (1839)

Those little cardboard thingamabobs they put around your coffee cup at Starbucks are technically called "zarfs", although they will try to tell you they’re called cup sleeves.

TWITO, page 168!


More about "zarf"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?