Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Random Sequence

"Poor man! It's awful to see him so unconscious of his own situation. I must put some more ice to your head, dear Mr. Griggs. There! How does that feel? Alas, when we were at that lovely picnic, enjoying the glowing beauties of nature, and you placed those wild-flowers in my hair, I never dreamed, Mr. Griggs, of seeing you thus! And that I, perhaps, should be the one, by unwearied assiduity, to save that valuable life to those who cling to it as the child clings to its mother's hand."
--from "Adventures of a Bachelor" (anonymous) in Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine, February 1864

(I found a bound copy of several issues of Godey's in my basement and have been flipping through the dusty pages.)

"Assiduity" means "close or constant attention to what one is doing".

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?