Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Word of the Day: scobberlotcher

What's the word I'm thinking of? Today it's...

scobberlotcher [SKOB-er-LOT-cher] (noun) [TWITO, page 132]

An idle person

"We cannot tell which class was affected by your Mr. Beeston, but it is pretty clear that Aubrey himself was a Scobberlotcher."
--Charles Isaac Elton, William Shakespeare, His Family and Friends (1904)

I'm not a scobberlotcher, but I like the idea of having a few idle, serendipitous days. Something might happen. I might see something out of the ordinary. I might meet someone or go somewhere. I might stay up all night and sleep all day. I might have an adventure, or just hibernate. I might even stumble across something to write about. Weeeee!

artist
(photo by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?