Saturday, March 28, 2020

The longer this lasts, the more PHILOCOMAL I'll be

What's the word I'm thinking of? Today, it's....

PHILOCOMAL [FI-lo-cohm-al] (adjective)

Characterized by excessive concern with one's hair

"There were ladies present too; and after some pleasant little discourse, all tending to the glorification of hair-dressing, an eminent professor of the philocomal art there present proceeded to a series of practical and illustrative experiments on the heads of some of the young ladies...."
--George Augustus Sala, Twice 'Round the Clock (1858) (TWITO, page 112)

As I isolate at home and practice social distancing during the pandemic, and as all barber shops and hair salons are closed, I have a frustrating problem.

I need a haircut. "We'll see what happens," as you-know-who keeps saying, ad nauseam. You'll likely see a shaggier me (if you see me at all), unless I get too tempted by the scissors -- probably not a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?