Friday, May 30, 2003

Quote of the Day

"It was then, staring into the moonlight, that my fears first became obtenebrated."
--Z. Hazel Ballantine, O My Knowledge

This quote has been driving me crazy, since I have no idea what "obtenebrated," means, though I like the sound of it. Finally, I broke down and looked it up--and it wasn't in the dictionary. (And I have one of those big, thick ones.) I suspect it has some relation to "tenebrous," which means "dark and gloomy." Or maybe Ms. Ballantine just made it up. . . . Next time someone asks me how I am, maybe I'll say "obtenebrated."

3 comments:

  1. So flawed,
    Like the damnation.
    So somber,
    Like the obtenebrated moonlight of my solitude.
    I am crystalline.
    -Hilda and Prudence

    i found this... and also have no clue what obtenebrated means :(
    have you, since then, found a definition? (it is also driving me nuts)

    shami

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhm... sorry... i googled the word, and i came up with your blog... thought i should mention that bit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the "Dictionary of Difficult Words", obtenebrate means to darken or cast a shadow over.

    http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0009094.html

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?