Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Quote of the Day

"Stories are for children, lawyers and indie-film producers," writes Joel Stein in Entertainment Weekly. "The rest of us don't have time. I can't even sit through my friends' anecdotes without wanting to fast-forward to the part where they either have sex, embarrass themselves, or mention me. Yet some people are convinced that reality television will wane because people crave narrative . . . This argument is usually made by writers. . . . Like Einstein before me, I shall prove my theory that people don't want stories with a simple experiment: You can stay up hours past exhaustion flipping channels, but 30 minutes of reading a book will put you to sleep midday, even with two Jolts in your system."

I found this quote from Stein on a website (I don't read Entertainment Weekly). It depends on the book, doesn't it? But he may have a point (an overstated one) about the modern attention span. Sometimes I think the whole world has ADD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?