Saturday, May 03, 2003

Quote of the Day

"It is a paradox. Like when you have something to say to the world-at-large, something desperately important, but everyone is babbling according to their own language game and besides, words and concepts only point and inevitably distort. What is the use of utterance?" --Brad Turner

I often feel like I'm screaming into a hurricane--no one can hear me (little old me) above the howling, spinning winds of cant, confusion and propaganda. And if they could, would they care, or even understand? I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't at least make the attempt, though. This dilemma reminds me of a saying from the ancient gnostic Gospel of Thomas: "That which you have within you will save you if you bring it forth from yourself." Commenting on this saying, the Jungian analyst June Singer wrote: "It serves no purpose to conceal who we are or what we know. Knowing ourselves and being willing to stand for who we are makes life authentic. If we can do this, then we can move freely through life because there is no dissonance between our sense of our own nature and the way we behave. But whoever is unable or unwilling to do this stores up poisons that will eventually destroy his or her own integrity." But is the utterance of what we "know" enough? What if no one listens or comprehends? This is the dilemma, as I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?