Saturday, May 17, 2003

Unknown Celebrity?

Last night, my wife dragged me to see Canadian singer/songwriter Jann Arden at Studio 54. (Yes, that Studio 54, where Andy and Liza and people of that ilk used to shake it and snort it 30 years ago. It's a theater now, not a disco.)

Arden has a great rock voice, beautifully introspective songs, a talented band and a hilarious sense of self-deprecating humor. So how come I've never heard of her before? (I got the impression that she's well known in Canada.) Maybe it's because she's not a glam 20-something sexpot--she actually wore a trench coat throughout her performance. And maybe her songs are a bit too arty for the current state of robotically pre-programmed US pop radio. (Although, my wife did become aware of her because of a song she heard on New York mega-station WPLJ.) In any case, she deserves more attention "down here" I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?