Friday, December 04, 2009

Much Ado about NOTHING

Perhaps coming late to the party, I recently acquired a talkative Global Positioning System (GPS). I'm now addicted; I take it with me everywhere I drive, even if it's just to the other side of the neighborhood. The robotic, but not unpleasant, male voice (my wyfe calls him "Charles") issues regular orders to "turn right at Summit Avenue" or "In 1.3 miles, turn left at State Highway". Yes sir...or maybe not; I don't always follow his commands. When I go my own way, he's patient, though, and simply murmurs "recalculating" -- and then delivers updated instructions. He's my new best friend. Since he's been riding with me, I haven't gotten lost once, something that used to happen regularly, as my sense of direction is pretty senseless. I don't think I'll get tired of his velvety synthetic voice, but if I do, there's an option to switch to a female GPS persona. That might start to feel a little too personal though....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?