Saturday, January 16, 2010

Much Ado about NOTHING

I've been testing the turntable I got for my birthday. I found a dusty box of LPs in the basement, and I pulled one out at random -- a Stevie Wonder album that I think is my wyfe's. What a weird, retro feeling to drop the needle on it and hear that little scratchy noise before the music started. I was expecting a lot of pops and clicks and skips, but it sounded surprisingly good -- I had forgotten that vinyl sounds "warmer". I guess I understand better now why those hordes attend the WFMU record fair to flip though endless crates of old thirty-three-and-a-thirds.

In a way, listening to an LP makes me feel the way I do when I read a printed book. I'm so used to reading on a screen and listening to audiobooks that the tactile pleasures of paper and ink seem refreshing. And books smell good. LPs do too. Somebody should bottle those aromas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?