Saturday, June 01, 2002

Walking through the local flea market in Riverview Park today, I saw lots of things you'd have to pay me to take away: computer equipment from the 1980s, toys from Burger King and McDonald's, ugly dishes, VHS tapes of movies I've never heard of, kitschy knick-knacks, Reader's Digest condensed books, T-shirts with immense "NYC" logos. But to someone, somewhere, each of things is or was a treasure--after all, someone bought them in the first place (with the exception of the "free" fast-food toys, I suppose). Their intrinsic value may be nil, but their personal value was real at one time. But then it faded. There was something a bit poignant about all those well-used items. Each one holds a secret, a story that may never be told.

I ended up buying two used CDs ($3 each): Jurassic Park by John Williams and The Indespensable Count Basie. You could say my musical tastes are eclectic!
.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?