Saturday, April 26, 2003

Writing. Who Needs It?

The New York Times article referenced below (free registration required) is both despressing and not very surprising. Our society doesn't value writing--after all, "anybody" can write. The only writing that is richly compensated is that of celebrities (in which case it's the name, not the writing itself, that is being rewarded). It's always been galling to me that writer's are so often expected to give their work away for free, especially by literary magazines. I realize that these publications operate on shoestring or nonexistant budgets (an indication of the esteem they are held in by society), but somehow they do find the cash to pay their printers or ISPs. (Sigh.)

Just my bad luck, I guess, that writing is about the only skill I DO have.

Writing in Schools Is Found Both Dismal and Neglected

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?