Monday, February 23, 2004

Freezes at Room Temperature

I took that Book Quiz that's so popular now, and it turns out that, of all tomes, I'm Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle:

You believe quite firmly that free will deserted you long ago and far away. As a result, it's hard to take responsibility for anything. Even though you show great potential as a leader of a small 3rd world country, the choices are all made ahead of time. You're rather fond of games involving string. Your fear of nuclear weaponry is trumped only by your fear of ice.

Yes, I've always wanted my own small island nation to rule--as sole citizen and benevolent dictator--and I do have some doubts about free will. And if I'm not exactly afraid of ice, I'm getting pretty sick of it here in late February. It's news to me that I like string games, though. (I am interested in string theory.)

I read Cat's Cradle years ago, during a Vonnegut period that also included Slaughterhouse Five and The Sirens of Titan. I still have the latter two sitting on a shelf, but Cradle has mysteriously disappeared. Time to get another copy, I guess. I remember the Ice Nine . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?