Saturday, May 29, 2004

Compulsive blogging and the New York Times

Compulsion

Here's an e-mail I received recently:

"I'm an intern for the New York Times, working on a light, fun story about 'compulsive bloggers.' I'm interested in people who regularly post to blogs, knowing that few people actually read them.

What caught my eye was your blog from April 17, which seems to lament this very thing. Do you relate? I'd love to get your thoughts.

You can call me at [...]. Our deadline is this afternoon (short notice, I know!) but please do call if you're interested in chatting."

I was tempted, but I didn't call. Having worked in the media world for lo these many years, I can read between the lines of such an offer. A "light, fun story," in this sort of context, generally means "we're going to make fun of you." No thanks.

Here's the resulting Times article. (Free registration required.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?