Thursday, July 08, 2004

Alcohol: Not my drug of choice

Cheers

I don't know why I've never been driven to drink, as things have happened to me (as they do to all of us, I suppose) that could have sent me to the bottle. But beyond the first beer, or the second glass of wine, I don't care much for alcohol. I don't enjoy the mental fog it brings, and it has never made me uninhibited--just the opposite. I become extremely cautious about what I say and do, knowing that I'm not quite in my right mind anymore.

My drug of choice is caffeine. It makes me feel smarter, perkier, more alive. I drink enough of it so that it doesn't make me nervous, even after the fourth cup of the day. And, to my knowledge, no one has ever proved that it has any ill effects, except on, maybe, fetuses. (I'll stop drinking it if I get pregnant.)

American coffee is weak, anyway. A Brazilian I met once referred to it as "brown water." They drink it 100-proof down there.

I'm in good company: caffeine is the world's most popular drug.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    try weed ;)
    even safer than alcohol and more fun :P

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?