Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A Scene from Dragnet

A Scene from Dragnet

The State Police banged on my door today: two plain-clothes guys straight from central casting. They said that someone from this address had sent them a letter, signed only "H.R.," stating that there was criminal activity going on in the building. They wanted to know if I knew who "H.R." might be. I told them I didn't; there's someone who lives here whose last name begins with "R," but the first name doesn't start with "H." They wrote down everything I said and left. Hmm. I haven't seen any "criminal activity" going on, except for my bicycle being stolen from the basement last December. But they seemed to be looking for something more serious than that. Having endured urban apartment life for many years, I've shared a roof, at various times, with thieves, drug dealers and wife/girlfriend beaters, but things have been quiet around here lately. I wonder if this presages some new malefaction. Good thing I'll probably be moving this summer.

HR . . .

Honest Reporter?
Highly Reliable?
Hot Resentment?
Hoodlum Realty?
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?