Sunday, May 08, 2005

Connections -- Mother's Day, flowers and a nervous fish

Connections

Yes, it's Mother's Day. But it might just as well be Flowers Day (or "All Circuits Are Busy -- Will You Please Try Your Call Again Later" Day). While wandering aimlessly this afternoon -- one of my favorite weekend activities -- I saw an amazing number of tough looking hombres walking around with floral bouquets . . . I'm not good at identifying flowers, except for roses. A lot of them were purple or pink blooms, though. The pink ones reminded me of the many flowering trees around here, which are currently dropping a huge number of flower clusters and petals all over. There are tiny pink tumbleweeds blowing down the street and pink petals drifting against the curbs. From a distance, it looks a little bit like the pink snow in Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, the inferior (but still enjoyable) sequel to The Cat in the Hat. One of the problems with Comes Back, I think, is the absence of that nervous goldfish in the original, which functioned as a sort of voice of reason/superego for the anarchic cat, his "Things" and "Sally and I." What happened to the fish? Well, fish don't live forever, I suppose. Neither do cut flowers, though I've heard that they last a lot longer if you change their water every day.
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?