Thursday, November 19, 2009

Downright Unfriendly

The New Oxford American Dictionary has declared that its "Word of the Year" is...(drumroll)...Unfriend.

The dictionary also considered "hashtag," "funemployed," "birther," "death panel," teabagger," and "tramp stamp", but decided that "unfriend" had both "currency" and "potential longevity", as well as -- wait for it -- "lex appeal".

Interesting that both "friend" and "unfriend" have become verbs in the Facebook era. I myself have been "friended" more than 100 times on Facebook, and only "unfriended" once -- maybe. My friend count went down by one recently, though that could be because someone dropped out of Facebook altogether or got banned for some utterly arbitrary reason, as I was at one time. I haven't figured out who it is.

There are a few more people I can think of that I'd like to be "friended" by, or "friend", but alas, they are not on Facebook.

Are they.

1 comment:

What's on your mind?