Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Word of the Day: lagniappe

lagniappe (n)

A small gift presented to a customer with a purchase.

"Welcome to Burger World. May I take your order?" Sid said, mechanically.
"Yes, my child," said Nigel. "I would like one of those children's meals that includes a lagniappe, please."
Sid sighed and rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry," he said. "We don't serve Italian food here."
--Leahcim Setag, Strange Loops

It's funny about gifts. I really don't care much about receiving them anymore. If I want something in the nature of a physical object (within reason), I can usually get it for myself -- exactly the way I want it. Much better than relying on someone else's taste. I get more pleasure out of giving...not necessarily material things, but things like music files or information or recommendations. It's rarely reciprocated, but what the hell. Nobody gives Santa Claus anything, and he's a "right jolly old elf."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?